Week of: September 18 – September 24, 2017
CANDLE LIGHTING & HAVDALAH TIMES
View our Calendar for upcoming events
3 Tishrei 5778: Parashat Ha’azinu — Shabbat Shuvah
- Wednesday Erev Rosh Hashanah Services, 6:15pm (CLICK for complete services schedule)
- Thursday – No Morning Minyan
- Thursday Rosh Hashanah Main Services, 9:00am (CLICK for complete services schedule)
- Friday Rosh Hashanah Day 2 Main Services, 9:00am (CLICK for complete services schedule)
- Friday Shabbat Services, 6:15pm
- Saturday Shabbat Services, 10:00am
CLICK HERE for discussion and notes on the weekly Torah portion
- Potluck Shabbat: 1st Friday of each month
- Musical Shabbat: 2nd Friday of each month
- Shabbat Unwrapped: 3rd Friday and Saturday of each month
- 9:30 Club: Meditation on 2nd Saturday of each month at 9:30am; Parashat HaShavuah (Torah portion discussion) on 3rd Saturday of each month at 9:30am. Sponsored by the Samuel & Jean Koshar Rothstein Memorial Fund
Israeli Folk Dancing Classes: 2nd & 4th Thursday of each month, 8pm-10pm
Contact Sherri Edgar: 571-338-4712
Contact Jerry Jacobs: 301-340-8144
Upcoming Events & Notices
Recognizing those who make our congregation the wonderful community it is.
- Todah Rabah to Kitah Zayin (7th Grade) for helping set up chairs in the sanctuary for High Holy Days.
- Todah Rabah to Reina Malakoff for creating a beautiful flier for High Holiday Children’s Services and for donating apples and honey for our Tot and Young Children services.
High Holy Days begin with Erev Rosh Hashanah this Wednesday, September 20
Note about children’s tickets: This year, we decided not to print tickets for children aged 7 and under. Children in babysitting will have pre-printed name tag stickers. Children under 8 not in babysitting do not require printed tickets.
The Etz Hayim office is collecting bean bags and floor cushions for the 8th & 9th Grade class! Please be sure all cushions and bean bags are clean and new (or in very good condition), and large enough for 8th & 9th grade students.
Monthly Mitzvah Mission: Feed the Homeless
Next dates: Thursday, September 28, 6:00-7:00pm (No Mitzvah Mission on Fri, Sept 29 due to Kol Nidre)
Location: Central United Methodist Church (CUMC), 4201 Fairfax Drive, Arlington, 22203
Join us each month to help feed Arlington’s homeless. CEH has partnered with the Central United Methodist Church (CUMC) of Ballston’s soup kitchen, and we’re calling on CEH volunteers to participate each month on the last Thursday PM / Friday AM of the month. To participate, volunteers just show up at 4201 Fairfax Drive. The kitchen entrance is on the Stafford Street side of the building, and parking is available behind the church.
Thursdays, 12:00pm; October 19 – November 9
Location: Sun and Moon Yoga Studio, 3811 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA
Do you have arthritis or do you know someone in the area who does? Sun and Moon Yoga Studio will premiere a special noontime series exploring yoga poses that can, over time, relieve the discomfort of arthritis. The class will also discuss anatomy, current research, and nutrition, and will emphasize breathing and meditation to relieve the stress that can be both a cause and a result of arthritis. Drop in to single sessions for $22 each. The instructor, Rachel Waldstein, is a CEH member who has also taught seniors through Arlington County. To register or find more information, go online to www.sunandmoonstudio.com or call 703-525-9642.